August 26, 2009

If You Need A Laugh Today

So I've been meaning to blog about this for a while because it's just TOO FUNNY not to share!

Now y'all know I encounter a lot of crazy people where I work. Some entertaining, some annoying, some baffling, some a mixture of all three! This particular, uh, patron, just completely cracked me up.

He filed a case because some woman damaged his car with a brick. Mr. Brick finally got her served, had his hearing, and got a $2400 judgment in his favor.

He explained to me that he had read our booklet on post-judgment collection but that none of those options would work for him because the defendant wasn't employed, didn't own any property, and didn't have any bank accounts. Then he asked me what he could do.

Uh. I suggested to him that he should contact the defendant and try to collect the money himself. He hemmed and hawed about that and said he really didn't want to talk to her himself.

He asked me a few times, "What can I do?" I explained again the procedures he could follow through the court and he kept saying those wouldn't help him. I really didn't have any other answer for him. (Although, in my head I was saying, "Yeah, that's why you should think about this before suing someone who DOESN'T HAVE ANY MONEY!!!!")

So, this is the brilliant solution that he came up with:

Mr. Brick: "Well, can the court just pay me and then the court collect the money from her?"
Me: [biting lips as to not burst out laughing] ....... *deep breath*
Me: "No sir, that's not something the court would do. What guarantee would we have that she would pay the court?"
Mr. Brick: "Hm. Okay."
Me: *looking at him blankly still trying not to laugh*

I guess he REALLY wants the State of MD to go broke and not be able to pay its employees!!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Well, gee why not? The government is handing money out left and right everywhere else.

AMarylandGirl said...

Yes, you're right, our government has fostered that whole entitlement attitude.