Last night in a Bible Institute class, I heard some amazing practical teaching on being Christ-like taken from Luke 2:52 that really struck me.
"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man."
The speaker proposed that we should "increase" in four areas as Jesus did:
- WISDOM: Mental and Emotional Maturity
Mental maturity includes being a diligent student, always learning and developing talents, having a solid education, being well-read, and knowledgeable. We should also strive for emotions that are fully developed but under control.
- STATURE: Physical Maturity
To me, this related not only to physical fitness (strength and endurance) through exercise and activity, but also good health through proper nutrition and self-control. Jesus also developed skills relating to physical labor.
- FAVOR WITH GOD: Spiritual Maturity
How would I even scratch the surface of Jesus' spiritual maturity? I feel the basis of spiritual maturity is a sound relationship with God based on Bible study, prayer, and obedience. I think this also includes a vision for how God would use you in service and ministry. Of course, this is certainly only a very basic definition!
- FAVOR WITH MAN: Social Maturity
This one intrigued me the most, perhaps because I believe most people would dismiss it as unimportant or insignificant. Favor with man would include good manners, respect, good character, and courtesy toward others. The ability to get along and work with others is also really important. What is the point of being smart, fit, spirit-filled, focused, well-read, talented, etc. if people- lost or fellow Christians, family or friends-- can't stand you?
The speaker said the end result is BALANCE. Many people put emphasis on one or two of these areas, but Jesus increased in all of these areas, as we should. Think about a Christian you know who is impressively educated and intelligent but they can't get along with anyone. Have you ever met a child of God who was popular and well-liked but couldn't maintain basic spiritual disciplines? Or how about a Christian who was healthy and fit but was dumb as a box of rocks or hadn't read a book in 20 years?
The context of Luke 2 suggests Jesus' ultimate goal was His ministry: "I must be about my Father's business." Perhaps maturity in ALL four of these areas is the key to maximizing our success in accomplishing God's plan for each of us. I want to strive for a more balanced, Christ-like maturity.
- Julie -
PS: What a great pattern for child training! Maybe I'll actually need it someday... years from now? ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment