March 3, 2006

We All Have A Little Monk In Us.


So, the title refers to the TV detective on the same-named show who has Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. He's constantly vacuuming, straightening things, using baby wipes, and cleaning, all the while NOT touching anyone, driving, or picking things up with his bare hands. He's afraid of pretty much everything including (but certainly not limited to!) milk, heights, germs, rodeos, glaciers, and crowds. Part of the hilarity of the show is seeing the kooky things he does.

Another part of the draw is seeing yourself in Monk. I have a theory that all of us have at least some obsessive habit. My brother is obsessive about matching- clothes, furniture, vehicles, shade of wood... you get the picture. One manifestation of my obsessiveness is that my remotes are set on top of my VCR in alphabetical order- CD player, DVD player, stereo, TV, and VCR. [We won't even address the fact that this is far too many remotes.] Also, the toilet paper in my bathroom must always come over the top, and trust me, I will change it if it's the other way.

My friend, JB, is obsessive about getting gas. After she pumps her gas, she gets back in her car and pulls out this chart she made. It's an obsessi... I mean, impressive chart, let me tell you! She lists the following: (1) date, (2) current odometer reading , (3) price per gallon, (4) total gallons, (5) total paid, (6) miles travelled, (7) miles per gallon, and (8) whether it was city or highway driving. [I had to get this straight from JB. I would never have remembered all these categories.] I find this whole process to be highly amusing, but it's second nature to JB.

I guess that's the thing about our obsessive quirks... they seem perfectly reasonable to us, but to others, they're just hysterical. I have a logical explanation as to why I alphabetize my remotes. [I never have to guess which one I'm reaching for.] At this moment, JB is explaining to me why she does the gas-chart thing and her reasons are very sound.

Knowing others have OCD quirks makes me happy, so I'd sure like to hear about yours. See, we all have a little Monk in us.

I Guess I'll Just Eat Worms
One of the things I did in Thailand was eat a dried worm. I know, I know, you're all going, "Ewww! What was she thinking?!" In my defense, it was presented as a test of will and adventurousness AND the instigator claimed the worms tasted "just like popcorn!" Also the worm was dried and crunchy-- if it had been any sort of squishy or juicy, I would NEVER have even touched the thing. I have a thing about food texture. So, along with the rest of the group, I downed the worm. Photographic evidence of Tammy's feelings as to the taste of the worm are at right.

It did not taste like popcorn.
- Julie -

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Ok. THAT is DISGUSTING. I cannot BELIEVE you ate a dried worm.

That is so gross I can't even stand it.

I never would have thought you had it in you. NEVER.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny, Julie! You made me laugh. :)

My obsession is cooking neatly. Whereas my mother will cook and just let things land where they may...whether they be utensils or dishes, spills or drips...she just waits until she is all done to clean up. It takes me twice as long to make anything, however, because I clean as I go. Wash the dishes and utensils as I dirty them (at least stack them nicely) and clean up everything I spill. Then it's all clean when I'm done. :)

As for eating worms....um, yum? I guess when you are in other countries you have to do things you really don't want to, but I think I would really have a problem with that. Nasty.

AMarylandGirl said...

So, Carrie, is that compliment to my adventurous nature or are you just calling me plain stupid? ;-)

AMarylandGirl said...

Rach, HEY! I'm glad to see you're a reader... from as far as South Africa, no less! My question for you: do you enjoy the meal more knowing everything is neat and tidy?

AMarylandGirl said...

Oh, and I thought of another obsessive quirk of mine: clipping coupons. Not the fact that I clip and use coupons, but HOW I clip them. It must be e-x-a-c-t-l-y on the dotted lines. They cannot be ripped or left partially uncut. A cashier even commented to me once how nicely clipped my coupon was. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay moment of truth, I have this thing about having clean hands, I propably wash them (with soap not just rinsing) 50 times a day. I always have to wash them after putting dirty laundry in the washer!After all its dirty right? :)