Can you believe it's October already?! *sigh* Time flying and all that is not something I enjoy.
I hate Halloween. I really, really do. Aside from the fact that it's historically a pagan celebration (although I understand there is some dispute about the origin), there's so many more reasons that I think Halloween shouldn't even be listed as a "holiday".
The decorations are just hideous. Christmas decorations are beautiful and festive and pretty and even magical. (Can't wait for Christmas, y'all!!) Halloween decorations include yucky black things, skeletons, creatures, goblins, and my least favorite-- that nasty webbing stuff. Why would you voluntarily cover your yard and trees with what is basically garbage? Ugh.The colors of Halloween are ugly. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the colors of Fall. Actually, I love pretty much everything about Fall. So, the season is definitely not the issue. I suppose I should be glad it's only one bleak day out of the beautiful Fall season.
I don't believe Halloween has a good or legitimate purpose. I think we can all agree it's not about family togetherness, honoring heroes, or being grateful. It's basically an excuse for people to eat tons of candy, to dress up in skanky outfits they wouldn't normally wear, and to scare themselves silly.
Now, I have nothing against costumes per se (except one that Paris Hilton might call "costume" but is technically lingerie). Costume parties at any time during the year can be really cool and fun.
The way I deal with Halloween now is basically to skip right over it and refuse to acknowledge its existence. Except I just might take advantage of the half price candy after it's over. :)
Hey, I know you may not agree with any part or even all of this, but it's just my opinion and I felt the need for a little rant. So, do you have any opinions about Halloween?
6 comments:
Hi Maryland Girl,
This Jersey Girl agrees with your concept of Halloween 100%.
Fall is my favorite weather. The only thing I have against fall is that it starts to get dark so early. :~( I Pray all is well in MD.
Hugs and Kisses from NJ,
Joyce
hee hee hee....u said, "skanky." that gave me a good chuckle.
Hello, Miss Joyce, so nice to know you read my blog. All is well here, thanks for your warm wishes.
Yes, Joy, I love the word "skanky". It's so... descriptive!
I hate Halloween too. Even if it is only one day, far too many people go all out in decorating their houses. It's just gross.
I agree, I agree, I agree. Even it it was just for the ugly decorations.
OOH! oH!
But I see the attraction to costume parties! I just don't like Halloween costume parties.... but often it's the one and only time you ever get to do such a thing! So perhaps we should start throwing costume parties more often, then people wouldn't think it's their only chance to have fun dressing up!
Post a Comment