At our Labor Day picnic, the local football teams came up in the conversation. I was putting in my $0.02 (surprising, I know) and happened to mention something about an "... illegal man downfield." One of the (male) guests shot me a shocked look and remarked to my dad, "Wow, she really knows her football." The group then proceeded to discuss how my fondness for sports will be wasted because I'll likely marry some "pansy" guy who thinks synchronized swimming and ice dancing are awesome sports. Or, worse still, hate sports altogether. *gasp*
[Let me clarify here. If you're a guy and you like those two, uh, sports, I'm not calling you a pansy. Honest. Because if you'd actually admit to liking either of those, uh, sports, I'd really like to meet you. I just don't think you exist. But I could be wrong.]
Now, where was I? Oh yes, the group discussion of my potential mate. (Trust me, happens ALL the time.)
No, I was really talking about football, in honor of the opening game tonight!! (Miami at Pittsburgh) There's just something about a new NFL season that quickens the pulse. The anticipation of a new group of players.... endless speculation about the teams.... a fresh start from equal ground... trashing the teams you hate.... and wondering which team will emerge victorious (and, of course, hoping it's your team!).
Is it strange that I'm a girl, but love sports? [Okay, there are sports I don't love. Boxing? Too violent. Soccer? *yawn* Rock, Scissors, Paper? Are you kidding me!?]
****
Brief interval where I got sucked into googling obscure sports like Unicycle Hockey, Staredowns, and Extreme Ironing. Obviously, the links prove that I am not making those up!
******
Okay. Climbing out of that black hole.
Anyway, the point is that I love me some football and I'm so excited another season is starting!! What about you? Want to give a shout out to your favorite team? Or perhaps you want to give reasons why you hate football? I'd love to hear them all. :)
- Ravens Fan J -
Quote Of The Day: "I love me some me." - Terrell Owens
7 comments:
Dear Ravens Fan J,
My team beat your team.
na-na-na-na-na-na.
From another avid Football Fan,
Vikings Fan J
Every real football fan knows that PRE-SEASON games don't count! :)
HA! You're lucky...LUCKY...it was pre-season! We would surely whoop up on ya..doesn't matter when! And thanks! You've really gotten me in the football spirit!
Extreme Ironing, huh? I should try that! HA!
JB
I hate football because...
#1 - The rules don't make sense. Quite frankly, I don't understand it. (Despite numerous attempts of others to try to MAKE me understand it.) It's like math. I don't therefore it sucks. (Can I use that word on your blog?)
#2 - It demands people's attention for MONTHS on end. This, of course, detracts attention from where it ought to be. Which is, of course, on me.
#3 - The mix of team colors are ugly. Orange should never be used. Neither should purple. I don't understand why these buff football guys are consenting to wearing purple. True, it's not pink. But still. And have I mentioned orange? No one looks good in orange. The players don't, nor do the fans who paint their bodies, cars and homes (you think I'm kidding here in Beaver land) orange. That's excessive and an eye sore.
#4 - Most football players are obnoxiously big brutes. They break the law and no one cares...so long as they show up for the game on Sunday. Then we parade them through big cities and put them on covers of magazines when they win. Even though they have a rap record as long as Methuselah's beard.
#5 - It distracts people for MONTHS on end. Which, of course, takes the attention off of where I like it. Which is, of course, on ME!
C, the first thing that came to mind was that I hope your unborn son LOVES football! ;-)
No, seriously, I understand your reasons. But of course I must answer them. :)
- The rules do make sense once you understand them. But that was your point, right? ;-)
- At least with football, they only play once a week. During the baseball season, there is a game almost every night.
- I do agree about the orange. I can't agree about the purple because my team color is purple.
- There are some thug football players and I think they should be accountable. But there are some nice guys, too!
All that to say... I still hope your son LOVES football. I'm going to buy him a little Cowboys outfit. Muwahahahahaha!
Yay!!!! Another football fan:o) I'm hardpressed to find any girl that really gets excited about the latest game! I'm usually left talking with some guys about some game while the girls walk away shaking their heads:o) I'm so glad there's someone else out there that likes football... I feel better now;)
Football has to be the number 1 sport. Especially if the football is in the hands of a Viking. We have been a football family like... forever. In fact, I know the penaltys so well, I'm applying for the position of referee when I get to heaven. :) Mom of Friend X and just as big a fan as she is.
Post a Comment