September 11, 2006

The Passing of Five Years

I'm sure we've all taken time today to reflect on the events that took place five years ago. Can the emotions and thoughts and experiences of that day really be put into words?

Each of us will never forget what we were doing. I was zipping up my suitcase, waiting for my dad to come back from the gas station so we could leave for the airport. When I heard what happened, I couldn't help but wonder..... what if I had booked an earlier flight that day? what if Camp David had been a target? what if someone I knew was killed?



Honestly, I miss the immediate swelling of patriotism and unity and resolve. I wish everyone was still as supportive of the President and committed to fighting terrorism, that the Senate would sing "God Bless America" together again, and that people would remember that their next breath isn't promised to them.

We forget too soon.

- J -

2 comments:

Carrie said...

And I was at work that morning when the attorney I worked with dashed in the office and turned on the television. I knew you were flying out that morning and I hadn't asked you your exact plans. I remember calling my mom and having her call your house (I couldnt call from the office) to make sure you were at home and safe! Bad thoughts rumbled around in my brain until I knew you were ok! (And I'm very thankful for the last five years with you!) I DO think about your friendship every Sept. 11th and am very grateful for it.

Anne said...

I don't think I'll ever *get over* seeing an airplane getting ready to crash into a building with thousands of people in it. It's not natural and it's not right. Anytime someone wants to be reminded of why the war on terrorism is being fought, I say look at that picture.