August 22, 2006

The City Girl Goes Country

On Saturday night, a few of us went to the local rodeo. The "ranch" is out in the country, with rolling hills, wide open spaces, and the fragrant scent of uh, well, animals and stuff. [Karis actually walked around with her hand over her nose. Hilarious.]


So, yes, while I am mostly a City Girl, I do occasionally enjoy the Country Life and its various activities. The bull riding is exciting, and while you sit there--so close!--, you can't believe there are actually people who do it!

In between the bull rides, they have these crazy activities like the "Ring of Fear" [you attempt to get any part of the bull into a ring WITH you] and "Wild Cow Milking" [teams of three guys wrestling a wild cow, trying to get a cup of milk]. These things are as insane as they sound.

Below is a picture of real cowboys-- the ones who were riding the bulls.... not urban cowboys who wears boots and hats because they're trendy.

And speaking of trendy, at the rodeo, I fully acknowledge that I'm a "city slicker." I don't put on some boots and a cowboy hat and act like I belong. :) In fact, I have a strict "no denim" policy and specifically wear my most citified shoes. I must admit that I almost took a picture of my pedicured, cutely shod foot next to a, uh, cowpie (pasture patty? meadow muffin?) :-D But c'mon people, can you imagine this conversation:

Cowboy Bob: Look at that city slicker over there. Is she taking a picture of a cow pattie?

Cowboy Will: Sure looks like it. I wonder if she knows what it is?


CB: Maybe she thinks it's some of that mud goo that city folk put on their bodies. It looks like she's putting her foot next to it.

CW: Man, I hope she doesn't trip and accidentally step in it. Those sissy shoes she has on sure won't protect her feet. She needs some boots!

CB: Maybe she's here to breath some fresh country air and get that city smog out of her lungs.

CW: Well, if she is, I sure don't know why she's standing next to a cow pattie!

CB: What do you think she'll do with the picture?

CW: I dunno. You know how city folk are... she'll probably frame it and call it art. Do you think we should tell her it's a cow pattie?

CB: Nah. Maybe she'll figure it out. She's scaring me.

CW: She's kinda pretty. I wouldn't mind taking her for a trail ride.

CB: Doesn't matter.... she's loony. You need to stay away from her.

- Julie -

[Ah well, if y'all aren't laughing, at least I'm cracking myself up.]

3 comments:

AMarylandGirl said...

Glad you've enjoyed the recent flurry of blogging, Rachy. :) Amazing what you can do when you don't have to study all the time!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Juls is definitely making up for lost time. Lovin' it!

Carrie said...

And despite the fact that I'm from TX - I've never been to a rodeo in my life. Eventually we'll take the kid and experience it all together, I guess.