August 28, 2006

"WHAT IN THE WORLD?" Monday

Two Fox News journalists freed by militants Sunday described a harrowing two weeks of captivity during which they were blindfolded, tied in painful positions and forced at gunpoint to say on a video that they converted to Islam.

And yet.

One of the captured journalists had this to say: "We were forced to convert to Islam at gunpoint. Don't get me wrong here. I have the highest respect for Islam, and I learned a lot of good things about it..."

Okay, you have the highest respect for a religion where the followers kidnapped you, tied you up, took all your belongings, injured you, and then forced you AT GUNPOINT to say you were converting to their religion!?!? What's to respect and when did the "good things" start?

I say:

WHAT IN THE WORLD?

- J -

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he was a little more mature then some people and realized that not everyone within a religious group hold the same standard of living. I appreciate the Christian religion, but only as far as the following of Christ, after that Christians get crazy and do really stupid things some of which are not very far off from taking someone at gun point.

AMarylandGirl said...

Anonymous, could you name something specific that Christians do that is "not very far off from taking someone at gun point"?

Can you imagine if a doctor said he had the highest respect for a "christian" who bombed his abortion clinic? Even as I Christian, I wouldn't expect that doctor to say he learned good things about Christians. Why are people so afraid to speak negatively about Islam?

I'm mature enough to realize that a lot of people do things in the name of their religion that do not remotely represent the True God.

Anonymous said...

I would like more open dialogue on this subject...I have a few comments of my own.
I wonder why anonymous does not give a name?

Anonymous said...

Most of you are one sided people who feel the need to speak against things that you know nothing about. I know both the Christian world and the Islamic world and it is the ignorance and prejudice that people like you are spreading that gives Christians such horrible name. There are doctor's who are themselves Christians who have been the target of other Christians. They do not walk away from the faith simply because some bone headed Christian decided it was an extension of Christ to bomb a clinic. Of course that doctor still holds to the Christian faith and even holds his/her respect for it. Do you know anything about the Islamic beliefs? There are many good and noble beliefs that are held by the followers of Islam, all salvation issues aside. They follow a moral and ethical code that would make most Christians run and hide. So unless you know about the Islamic faith, don't just assume that everything about it is bad. I am not suggesting that anyone should convert but I do feel that your comments are offensive and ignorant. Of course this is a blog, so I suppose you are entitled to post such comments, regardless of your misinformed opinions.

AMarylandGirl said...

Anonymous, I'd be happy to continue this discussion with you if you will identify yourself.