I find names fascinating. I love to hear unusual names, weird names, pretty names, crazy names, etc. I have this theory that a person's name can actually affect the way you feel about them. For instance, when I was younger, every girl named Allison that I knew was really mean and snobby, so I found myself associating those traits with anyone named Allison. (If there's anyone named Allison reading this, please don't take this personally. I've met other lovely girls named Allison since then.) There are certain names that I really like, so when I meet people with those names, I find myself automatically having favorable feelings toward them. Maybe this is a hairbrained idea, but I really believe it has some merit.
So, I'm doing some temp work and I have access to the company employee directory. Do you know we actually have a guy here named Thomas Thomas? First name: Thomas; Last name: Thomas. I'm not making that up! I mean, seriously, what were his parents thinking? Of all the names in the world they could have chosen and they picked Thomas?! Friend C has an uncle named Mark Marks. (This makes me laugh every time I hear it.) I also have a friend who's one of eleven children. His name is John, but he has an older brother named Jonathan. I mean, I know eleven kids is a lot, but there's a lot more names in the world.
Today I found a girl named Sunday. At least I think it was a girl. Now, I'm not actually sure. But still, a day of the week? I just don't see the point.
So, do you think my theory has merit? Have you heard of any crazy name?
And, by the by, if you think this seems trivial, listen, I'm bored. :-)
August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
When I sprained my ankle (so badly) and ended up in teh ER my nurse's name was September. Why, I asked? Because she was due in September but was born in August and her parents, bemoaning their premie, named her according to the month she was SUPPOSED to arrive. This leads me to the weird emotional attachment that parents have to children who are born premature. I guess I don't really WANT to know why they are so fixated. But a month ain't so bad. I'd be up for an 8 month pregnancy! That's off the point of this post though. Rambling. (I'm bored too.)
Post a Comment